KOZJE MEADOW NATURAL SCIENCE TRAIL
One of the highest pre-Alpine areas of the Kozjansko region
The highest, foothill areas of Kozjanski park - Vetrnik, Oslica, Bohor - offer one of the most beautiful and richest habitats - dry hill meadows with extraordinary biodiversity.
The meadows are at the most beautiful from May to August for their colourful flowers, and in October you can admire the diversity of meadow fungi on the meadow. The best way to experience them is by walking along the Meadow natural science trail, which runs around the Vetrnik peak in the eponymous settlement of Vetrnik.
The trail passes through the dry meadows below Vetrnik peak, where the biodiversity is extremely high (orchids, butterflies), with more than 50 plant species per square metre in late spring and summer. From the top of Vetrnik you can enjoy a beautiful view of the Kozjansko region.
BASIC ROUTE INFORMATION:
- Length of the route: 1.4 km, circular.
- Time required: 1 hour.
- Signage: 10 points of interest are marked with information and direction signs.
- Altitude difference: 615 m above sea level. v. – the lowest point, 708 m asl. v. - the highest point.
- Difficulty: suitable for the visitor with average physical abilities.
- Starting point: at the crossroads at the fork below the Kukovičič homestead at Vetrnik.
- GPS coordinates of the trailhead: x=542 660, y=101 757
- Access: from Kozje along Bister graben to Vetrnik or from Podsreda and Gorjane to Vetrnik.
- Guide and leaflet: Vetrnik Educational Trail.
- Guided tours Kozjanski Park, Podsreda 45, Podsreda, tel. nb. 03 800 7100.