KOZJE ZAGORJE VILLAGE CENTRE WITH CHURCH
ON THE PILGRIMAGE ROUTE OF THE VIRGIN MARY
The Zagorje village centre is located in the valley between Bohorje and Lošč in the municipality of Kozje. The centre of the town is the Church of the Mother of God of Zagorje, dating from 1661, but the church is older, as evidenced by the small vaulted chapel. On the keys there is the coat of arms of the Counts of Celje. Ignac Maria, the Count Attems, had the church built in its present form. The high altar and the side altars date from the 18th century and are the work of Janez Gregor Božič. On the high altar there is a much older statue of the Virgin Mary. The frescoes were painted by Matthias von Gorz and Anton Lerchinger in 1708. The organ in the church was made in 1731 by master craftsman Janez Frančišek Janeček.